Back pain is the primary cause of disability for people under the age of 50, and most people experience at least one form of back pain in their lives. Back pain can be very debilitating and interfere significantly with quality of life.
It can arise from a variety of sources. It can be acute or slowly lead to long-term chronic pain. The best treatment for back pain is to eliminate the underlying causes of pain.
Underlying Causes of Back Pain
- Physical factors such as misalignment of foot, knee and legs, imbalanced muscles of the torso, lack of flexibility, and pelvic and neck imbalances.
- Organic causes for back pain can include kidney stones, gallstones, infections, ovarian cysts or abdominal scars.
Back Pain Treatment Options
Treatment of back pain begins with taking the stress off the nerves in the spine. This may include removing physical stresses as well as decreasing inflammation around the nerves.
The best treatment for back pain will depend on the causes of your pain, among other factors. Common therapies for back pain include:
- Chiropractic: aligning the vertebrae of the spine to remove impingement on specific nerves and thus relieve pain in the area fed by that nerve – shown to be be the most effective therapy for chronic or acute back pain.
- Laser Therapy: Using a therapeutic laser to deliver specific red and near-infrared wavelengths of light, this therapy increases circulation, decreases swelling, reduces pain, and enhances tissue repair.
- Bodywork: massage movement therapy acupuncture, reflexology
- Yoga: one of several stretching and relaxation techniques
- Mind-Body Medicine: includes relaxation and biofeedback techniques
- Energy Medicine: ultrasound helps break up adhesion and creates natural pain relief by the body
- Acupuncture: helps improve blood and energy flow and relieves stress
- Naturopathic Medicine: combines detoxification, supplementation, hydrotherapy to decrease inflammation and structural alignment techniques